GirlPower & GoodGuys (GirlPower Inc.) provides a broad range of services. In providing these services, GirlPower & GoodGuys gives utmost priority to the maintenance of member privacy and therefore strives to protect the confidentiality of any personal information that you may give us online, in a telephone conversation, in person, or on a completed printed form. Personal information is any information that identifies you or provides a method by which your identity could be deduced.
1. Your Privacy Rights
Beginning January 1, 2004, all organizations engaged in commercial activities must comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, which grants rights concerning the privacy of your personal information. In addition to PIPEDA, Canada’s new anti-spam law entered into force on July 1, 2014. The new law helps Canadians avoid spam and other electronic threats. Both PIPEDA and CASL obligations and regulations extend to GirlPower & GoodGuys. We will ensure your rights through these policies by training GirlPower & GoodGuys staff on privacy policies and practices.
2. Types of Personal Information Collected
GirlPower & GoodGuys may collect personal information for memberships and registrations through electronic forms, email, phone, fax, mail or in person. These memberships and registrations may involve personal information, such as, but not necessarily limited to, the following:
- Your name, home address, and home telephone and/or cell phone numbers
- Your email address
- Your place of employment and job title
- Your child’s name and age
- Credit card information and/or banking information. Please note that our credit card provider handles online payments securely and credit card data is available only to authorized staff.
3. Purpose of Collecting Personal Information
4. Collection of Personal Information and Your Consent
GirlPower & GoodGuys collects information only by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way. Wherever possible, we collect your personal information directly from you at the start of your membership. Additional information may be collected as you participate in an increasing number of GirlPower & GoodGuys services and/or programs.
GirlPower & GoodGuys must obtain your consent to collect, use or disclose your personal information. Normally, we ask for your consent in writing or through an electronic form, but in some circumstances, we may accept your oral consent. Whatever the means, you will be asked to give your consent at the point of collection, at which time you will also be informed that your personal information is being collected, the purpose for which it is being collected, and that you have a right of access to the information. Please note that GirlPower & GoodGuys retains your consent until you withdraw it in writing.
5. Use of Your Information
As mentioned above, GirlPower & GoodGuys uses your personal information to provide services to you and to include you in any direct mailings. Personal information may also be used to notify you of upcoming meetings, courses, seminars, conferences, and GirlPower & GoodGuys products. If you tell us that you no longer wish to receive this information, we will not send any further material.
GirlPower & GoodGuys does not sell, share, barter, rent, divulge or otherwise disseminate personal information.
GirlPower & GoodGuys may monitor website traffic patterns, site usage, and related site information in order to optimize our web services. This information may also be used for statistical analysis and may be provided to third parties, but this statistical information does not include any identifiable personal information.
6. Disclosure of Your Personal Information
GirlPower & GoodGuys may disclose your personal information under circumstances such as the following:
- When we are required or authorized by law to do so, for example, if a court issues a subpoena
- If GirlPower & GoodGuys needs to protect itself or its interests. For example, if a member or potential member takes action or lodges a complaint against GirlPower & GoodGuys, we may use your information to defend GirlPower & GoodGuys, notwithstanding any case where you have not consented to GirlPower & GoodGuys’s use of your personal information.
Please note that in all of these situations, GirlPower & GoodGuys will only disclose as much personal information as is required by the circumstances.
7. Updating and Correcting Your Information
Since we use your personal information to provide you with our services, it is important that your information be accurate and up-to-date. If any of your personal information changes during the course of your membership, please inform us so that we can make any necessary changes. From time to time, GirlPower & GoodGuys may contact you to request an update of your personal information.
If GirlPower & GoodGuys does hold information about you that is inaccurate, incomplete or not up-to-date, we will take reasonable steps to correct it. By contacting GirlPower & GoodGuys’s Privacy Officer (see section 12 for contact information), you can arrange a review of your record(s). Should you find these records to be inaccurate, we will amend them and where we have (as part of your membership with GirlPower & GoodGuys) furnished erroneous information to others, we will inform them of the corrected information. Please note: we may ask you to provide documentation to assist us in making corrections.
8. Process for Destruction of Personal Information
There are 2 situations when the destruction of personal information will be necessary. This destruction of personal information will occur when there is a withdrawal of consent or the retention of information is no longer necessary. This could occur when the maximum retention time has been met, or the information is no longer relevant.
The process is as follows for withdrawal of consent:
- The person requests in writing stating that they would like to withdraw their consent for GirlPower & GoodGuys to use their personal information for the purpose(s) stated.
- The Privacy Officer will gather the information to be destroyed (in both paper format and electronic).
- The paper-based information will be shredded, then disposed of (in either the trash or recycle bin).
- The electronic information will be deleted from all electronic files where it is stored.
- The Privacy Officer will access all of the available electronic drives and files to ensure it is deleted.
- The information will be deleted from all backup records on the GirlPower & GoodGuys server.
9. Security of Personal Information
GirlPower & GoodGuys takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that your personal information is kept safe from loss, unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. Among the steps taken to protect your information are:
- Premises security
- Employee training in the storage, safeguarding and use of personal information
- Restricted file access to personal information (i.e. your data is accessed only by GirlPower & GoodGuys staff with a direct involvement in the project(s) or service(s) for which you have provided your information)
- Technological safeguards such as security software and firewalls to prevent unauthorized computer access
- Internal password and security policies
Please note that despite the above security measures, any email correspondence that you have with GirlPower & GoodGuys is not completely secure if you send non-encrypted emails.
10. Accessing Your Personal Information and GirlPower & GoodGuys’s Process for Handling Personal Information Requests
At any time, you may contact GirlPower & GoodGuys’s Privacy Officer (see section 12 for contact information) to request a review of the information that we hold on file for you. The process for accessing your information is outlined below. Summary information is available on request while more detailed requests that require retrieval costs may be subject to a reasonable fee. Please note: GirlPower & GoodGuys reserves the right to confirm your identity before complying with any access requests.
Process for Handling Personal Information Requests:
- The person makes a request for details about their personal information to GirlPower & GoodGuys. This request is sent/directed to the Privacy Officer.
- The Privacy Officer responds to the person in writing within two weeks.
- If the person would like to see a list of personal information GirlPower & GoodGuys has about them, the Privacy Officer will send them a hard copy of the list through the mail, marked confidential.
- If the person would like to see the personal information that GirlPower & GoodGuys has about them the Privacy Officer will schedule a meeting with that person to give them access to this personal information.
- In the letter and/or in the meeting, the Privacy Officer will advise the individual as to the next steps to be taken to follow up on the access request.
- After sending the letter or holding the meeting with the person, the Privacy Officer will record the letter/meeting information in a confidential, hard copy file.
- There may be rare occasions when your rights to access or correct your personal information are denied. These occasions include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following instances:
- When denial of access is required or authorized by law
- When granting you access would have an unreasonable impact on other people’s privacy
- When granting you access would negatively affect GirlPower & GoodGuys rights and/or property
If we deny your request for access to information or refuse a request to correct information, we will attempt to explain why.
11. Third Party Websites and Personal Information
On GirlPower & GoodGuys’s website, there are links to third party websites that are not under our control. GirlPower & GoodGuys cannot guarantee that these sites adhere to strict codes of conduct with respect to privacy, and visitors to our website should link and submit personal information to these third party sites at their own risk.
12. Contacting the Privacy Officer
GirlPower & GoodGuys
1640 Westmount Rd NW
Calgary, AB T2N3M1
Tel: (403) 802-4107
If you are not satisfied with our response, the Privacy Commissioner of Canada can be reached at:
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
30 Victoria Street
Gatineau, QC K1A 1H3
This privacy statement was last updated on January 14, 2015.