Start the school year off right by introducing your students and parents to our whole-school friendship strategy. Integrate these slides into your Meet the Teacher Night presentation to quickly share URSTRONG’s core concepts. Remind the parents of these key points:
- Consistency is key. It’s important that teachers & parents speak the same language and support kids as a team.
- The word “bullying” is confusing. Remind parents we use the term “Mean-on-Purpose” instead.
- About 85% of conflicts are Friendship Fires. Rarely are children intentionally mean. Hurt feelings, misunderstandings, and disagreements are normal.
- Kids can solve their own problems. Our main goal is to empower the kids with the skills to put out their own Friendship Fires and stand up to Mean-on-Purpose behavior.
- Friendly vs Friendship. We teach kids to be kind and friendly to everyone, but encourage them to spend time in healthy friendships.
- Mirror Neurons are real. Children mirror the behavior of people around them and it’s important parents are showing their children how to be kind.
Encourage the parents to meet with you in person if they have any concerns. Reinforce that you are a team and be sure to remind them there are loads of Parent Resources on the URSTRONG website to support them on this journey.