This session is focused on helping children recognize the qualities and attributes that help to create a healthy friendship, strengthening their social-awareness. Through the Friend-o-meter, a visual tool that helps children think about whether a friendship is healthy or unhealthy, students start to create social boundaries in their lives and recognize that not all relationships are good for us. This session gets kids thinking critically about their friendships, helping to paint a picture in their mind about what great friendships look like and the importance of surrounding themselves with people who have a positive impact on them.
F101 Session 3: How to be a Great Friend
Glossary of Terms
At URSTRONG, we believe it’s important to use kids’ language for kids’ problems. That’s why we have our very own, unique language of friendship. Here are some important terms that children, parents, and teachers learn in our program.
Friendship Fire®: Any situation between you and a friend that results in negative feelings.
Mean-on-Purpose: When someone is intentionally unkind to someone else.
Quick Comeback: A very short word or phrase that is used when someone is Mean-on-Purpose. Quick Comebacks are designed to let the other person know that you heard/saw what they did and you’re not okay with it.
Friend-o-meter: A visual tool that assesses the health of friendships, ranging from the healthy zone to the unhealthy zone.
Friend-o-cycle: The normal cycle in a friendship that brings the friendship back to the healthy zone after experiencing a Friendship Fire. The phases of the Friend-o-cycle are: Healthy Friendship – Fire – Confront the issue – Talk-it-Out – Forgive & Forget – Closer & Stronger – Healthy Friendship…
4 Friendship Facts: A set of four facts that help us have realistic expectations in our friendships so we understand what is normal.
- No friendship (relationship) is perfect.
- Every friendship is different.
- Trust & Respect are the two most important qualities of a friendship.
- Friendships change…and that’s okay.
Red Shirt Girl and Striped Shirt Boy: Two characters that remind us about the importance of body language.
Friendship Ninja: A Friendship Ninja is someone who surrounds themselves with friends in the healthy zone of the Friend-o-meter. A Friendship Ninja is kind and friendly to everyone. A Friendship Ninja understands the 4 Friendship Facts and puts out their Friendship Fires when they ignite. A Friendship Ninja stands up for themselves and their friends. A Friendship Ninja makes new friends and understands that friendships change…and that’s okay. Above all else, a Friendship Ninja is someone you want to be friends with because they’re true to who they are!
- Students will be able to list some of the attributes that make a person a GREAT friend.
- Students will be able to describe how healthy friendships are like healthy food; they make us stronger, help us grow, give us energy, help us think/learn, improve our mood, and feel good.
- Students will be able to describe how unhealthy friendships are like unhealthy food; they drag us down, make us irritable, don’t give us what we need, and feel bad.
- Students will recognize the importance of spending the most time in healthy friendships and spending less time in unhealthy friendships. Students will also be able to identify that sometimes friendships are in the unhealthy zone because of a Friendship Fire® that hasn’t been put out.
- Students will be able to define the term body language and the role it plays in how people give and receive messages.
- Through the Friendology Project (spending one lunch recess alone), students will feel the power of being on their own, empathy, and the impact friends have on our lives.
Not ready to join
just yet? That’s ok!
We’d love to stay in touch & send you our monthly newsletter with helpful tips + what’s new at URSTRONG!
Just a heads up!
We noticed that you only selected one ticket for a Language of Friendship (parent-child) workshop. Just a reminder that you need to purchase tickets for everyone attending the workshop.
Just a heads up!
Prompt about free adult ticket coupon code. Curabitur nec nunc ut augue tincidunt interdum quis a diam. Suspendisse vel justo vitae mauris sodales commodo. Nullam dapibus nisi mi, id lobortis urna scelerisque ac. Duis auctor enim sit amet quam lacinia malesuada.